Friday, December 28, 2012

Kingfisher progress

I used to think it was really cool to save cardboard coffee cup clutch dividers when I worked for Caribou Coffee.  Wish I had more, actually.  They are 11 x 17", an acceptable size for me,  and also have a side that is a very comforting shade of grey.  It's a durable surface as well, allowing me to spread graphite around smoothly and also has a high tolerance for color. 

I made a sketch of a Kingfisher on one of these lovely, sustainable dividers about nine months ago, and just kind of forgot about it after that.  I feel like at that time, my style wasn't ready, I couldn't conceive of a process to finish it.  I looked at it a few days back and had a vision for it right away.    I'm using 15 different pens at this point, probably 18 or 19 after I finish the wood at the bottom.  Variety.

What a funny looking bird.  Still cool though, like the Grandmaster Flash of kingfisher drawings.  Hope to finish it up today or tomorrow.  Or the day after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6e9G-ump3Y

No comments:

Post a Comment