Saturday, May 12, 2012

Style


It seems that the term style is much bigger than I had originally thought.   It has even been argued that any aspect of a work of art can be made an element of individual style.  What is portrayed can potentially be made just as, if not more, significant in terms of style than how it is portrayed.  I feel that a clearly distinct individual style is something one has to have in order to be a great artist.  After reading about style in “The Routledge Companion to Aesthetics” the only conclusion I have drawn is that I need to make more work, a lot more work, in order to see what my style truly is. If I have developed one already, that is.  

As far as making more work goes, I think this will get me started:

1 comment:

  1. Voigt - you naturally have, without a doubt, one of the most unique and obvious styles I've ever seen. I remember some of the first drawings you showed me when you changed your major to DMA (e.g. a cartoon chicken). I think you're lucky to have that.

    I encourage my kids at school to look at art and cartoons while drawing...but draw them how they want. "Don't try to match their drawings perfectly." I say. "Make their drawings look like yours...and vice versa."

    I'm not sure I agree with your comment that "a clearly distinct individual style is something one has to have in order to be a great artist." I think it might be a combination of that and how much an artist enjoys his/her work.

    Keep making stuff! I loved your text the other day about Winston Churchill. Also, I love the headphones you painted for your banner. So sick.

    Thanks for the great music.

    ReplyDelete